Would it not be great to rotate videos that have gone sideways or upside down without much effort or trouble?! You can!!! And we show you how to do it!
Why would you want to rotate your video?
I’m sure you know the feeling of taking an awesome video with your iPhone or iPad and then realizing that something went wrong, and the video is either sideways or upside down. How frustrating! But stop, don’t delete your excellent piece of filming, edit it instead!
Are there apps available to rotate videos?
There are some really good editing tools out there to help in these situations. There are multiple apps that can help you save your movie and some of them show professional results. Here, we will concentrate on the movie editing app from Apple, iMovie. It allows you to rotate your videos super easy, quick and with a professional result! You can rotate your videos in both directions, in 90-degree steps.
And even better, the app is free. The only requirement is that you have iOS 11.2 or later.
Even though there are multiple apps available, we like iMovie from Apple best. It is easy to use, free and excellent, hence, our favorite!
There are two ways you can go about this task. Either you open your video in the photo app and edit it there, or you open it directly in iMovie and rotate it within the app. We show you both options. In both cases, you will have to make sure you actually downloaded the iMovie app. Then reassure yourself that the rotation lock is unlocked on your iOS device.
How can you rotate sideways or upside-down videos in your photo app?
- Open your photo app on your iOS device.
- Select the video that you want to rotate and open it.
- Select “edit” in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select the “Extension” icon, which is depicted as three dots and can be found at the bottom of the screen.
- Choose “iMovie” from the menu.
In case you don’t see “iMovie” directly in the menu then select “More” and it should appear there.
- Now you are ready to rotate your movie. Use two fingers, slightly apart from each other, and rotate your video in either direction (clockwise or counterclockwise).
- You are almost done. Just confirm your changes by selecting “Done” in the upper right corner of your screen.
The video should now have been saved in the right direction and you are done.
How do you rotate videos in the iMovie App?
- Open the iMovie app.
- On the top of your screen, you find the video button. Select it and search for the video that you want to edit. Choose that video.
- Then, select the “sharing” icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Choose “Create Movie” from the selection.
- Now you are ready to rotate your video. Use two fingers slightly apart from each other to rotate the video in any direction (clockwise or counterclockwise).
- Once you are done, confirm your change to the video by selecting “Done” from the upper left corner of your screen.
- Now you still need to save your edited video. Select the “sharing” icon again and choose “Save Video”.
- Finally, you have to choose the export size for your video. There are four options to choose from: Medium, Large, HD (720p), and HD (1080p). Choose the one you would like to apply.
- iMovie should notify you now that your video has been exported to your Photo Library. You will now find your edited video/movie in your Photo app and not in the video app as you might have thought.
That was easy enough, wasn’t it? No more tears over excellent videos that turn out sideways or upside down and are therefore going straight to the bin. Just follow a few easy steps and rotate your movies with the help of iMovie!
There is not only us that have realized how cool iMovie is. Customers love iMovie and rated it 4+ out of 5 stars. It is praised for its easy use and how it gets better and better with each new update. So, there is hopefully more goodness coming in the future with each update. Stay tuned.