If you want to communicate with three or more friends and family, group message is your answer. When you use the group message feature on your iPhone or iPad, you will be able to send and receive the following on your iOS device: messages, calls, photos, and videos.
This article is created to let users know how to create and name a group. If you are one of these users, you will also know how to remove or add members to your group.
The Difference Between MMS Groups and iMessage Groups
There is actually a significant difference between iMessage and MMS Groups. These two features might be confusing to other people but here is what you might want to know.
If all of the members of a group is using iOS devices –iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch – all the messages will be sent as iMessages. If at least one member of the group is using an Android device or any other types of mobile, they will be sent as an MMS. Here are some of their differences:
- If the message is in a blue bubble, this means that this is an MMS message. If the message is in a green bubble, this means that this is an iMessage.
- With MMS, you won’t be able to name your group. However, when it comes to iMessage, you can assign whatever name you want.
- In MMS, participants can’t be added or removed. In the case of iMessage, you can remove or add participants to your heart’s content.
Create Group iMessages
- Start by going to the Messages application.
- Tap the Start New Message Button.
- On the upper part of the screen, in the “To:” section, add the contacts that you want. Just tap the (+) sign if you want to add more numbers or contacts.
- Compose your message in the Text Message field.
- Tap the icon which shows a green arrow to send your message.
Remove or Add Participants on the Group
As what the information above says, you can add or remove participants whenever you like. However, this will only apply if you are using the iMessage feature. If you can’t see the Remove or Add Contact option you are sending an MMS Message. If you are using an iMessage anyone on the group can remove or add participants.
How to Add Group Participants
- Open the conversation by tapping the Group Message.
- If you see the members at the top of the message, you can view all of them by tapping in it. You can also view the members by tapping the name of the Group message if you already named it.
- Tap the info icon at the side (i)
- Tap the Add Contact button.
- When you are shown the option to add a new member, simply type the name of the member at the add field.
- Go to the Group Message.
- Go to the info by tapping the (i) icon.
- Keep in mind that you have to have at least three members remaining in the group.
- Tap on the member that you want to remove and swipe left.
- Tap on the red Remove button at the right side.
Naming your Group
You can always name your group whenever you want. This can be helpful if you have a lot of iMessage groups where you belong. Again, please note that this does not apply to the MMS Message groups. You can do this through the following:
- Open the Group Message that you want to name.
- Tap the (i) or info icon
- Enter your preferred name in the Name field.
Exit a Group
If you don’t want to join in the group anymore, you can always exit anytime you want. However, note that you won’t be able to receive texts, photos, and videos from the members of the group.
In order to exit an iMessage, you can do the following:
- Simply tap the iMessage where you want to leave.
- Tap the (i) or info icon
- Scroll down to the bottom
- Click the Leave Conversation button
If the group is active, you can also mute the notifications so you won’t be disturbed every second. You can always read back the messages when you have time. If you find yourself getting too many alerts, the mute button can be helpful for you. You don’t have to always leave a group since there might an important message being sent out and you might be left out.
You can also share this post with your friends so that they will be aware of what to do when it comes to group messages.