Are your AirPods having volume problems? Before getting a replacement, pair or paying to get it fixed, consider troubleshooting the issues yourself first. This article will provide you with all the information you will need to fix the volume issues of your AirPods. The first thing you will need to do is to identify what issue you are dealing with.
Most users report two common problems:
- One earbud’s volume is louder or softer than the other
- The sound coming from the earbud is too low
By identifying which issue your AirPods are facing, you would know the next steps to take.
Troubleshooting unequal volume output of your AirPods
First, you need to go to the settings menu of your phone. After that, go to the General menu and select “Accessibility”. Once you are there, scroll down and look for the “Hearing” section. This enables you to set the audio balance for your earbuds. You need to do this if you notice that one earbud’s volume does not match the volume of the other. The AirPods are designed to have the same volume level unless the setting has been changed. You can adjust the level of volume for each earbud using this.
Now, restart the iOS device or any other device that is connected to the AirPods. Switch off your device’s Bluetooth. Wait for a few seconds then turn the Bluetooth back on. On an iPad or iPhone, you can do this by going to the Settings menu and selecting Bluetooth. Swipe to switch it off. Wait a few seconds then swipe it back on.
Start from zero
Sometimes, the changes in the setting don’t get saved. To fix this, you just need to turn everything down to its zero setting then slowly increase the volume to the preferred level. Turn down your AirPods’ volume while it is being used. Turn it all the way down to zero as you are listening to music. When the volume is at zero, disconnect the earbuds by clicking on the blue “i” icon that appears next to the AirPods. Select “Disconnect”. Make sure that you only disconnect and not unpair the device. Next, launch any music application from your device and play music. Turn the volume to zero. Reconnect the AirPods to the device. Now, turn the volume all the way up. This should address the problem regarding too low volume on the earbuds.
Update the firmware
Another problem for malfunctioning AirPods is if your firmware is not updated. Apple releases an update regularly and it is advisable that you keep your devices updated. Here are the steps to update your AirPod’s firmware:
- Put your AirPods in its charging case.
- Plug in the charging case into a power source.
- Check that your iOS device is not too far from its charging case and is connected to the Internet.
Clean your AirPods
If you are hearing a muffled sound or if one of the pods is getting slightly quieter, then is it likely that your AirPods need cleaning. Ear wax and dead skin cells go into the crevices of the earbuds whenever you wear them. The gunk can build up inside the speakers and cause issues related to volume. There are many suggested ways to remove gunk. Here are two options:
- Get a lint-free cloth. Make sure that it is dry. Rub the AirPods using that cloth. Using a cotton swab, rub the speaker and microphone until it is free of debris. For any hard or pushed-in gunk that is trapped in the mesh, remove it with a soft-bristled brush. Remember not to use anything that could abrade or scratch the mesh inside your AirPods. This can damage the earbuds permanently.
- Another way to clean the AirPods is to get a clean toothbrush with very soft bristles. Use this brush to remove wax and dead cell build up from the sound openings. These are the large openings on the earbuds. Do not abrade anything by brushing too hard. This can make the issue worse if you push in the debris into openings. The next step is to suck the debris from the mesh using a micro-vacuum tool. When you feel the air flowing in the openings, brush the debris off.
If the following directions do not fix the issues on your AirPods, there may be a problem with the hardware already. If this is the case, you may need to bring your earbuds to an Apple service center. Consider also the possibility of needing to get a new pair of AirPods.