MegaBackup is a backup service that works for both Windows and Mac. It is meant to protect the user’s personal data such as documents and photos from problems encountered during system reinstallation or hard disk malfunctions. However, the MegaBackup is actually a misleading software that can make changes in the computer’s settings without the user’s permission.
The problem arises when the user tries to uninstall this software. The MegaBackup is like a barnacle that clamps down on your system and refuses to be removed. Below are the steps that you can take to permanently uninstall this program from your Mac’s operating system.
What is wrong with MegaBackup?
For many, our computers are our lifeline. We use them for work and play. This is where we store our most important documents, treasured photos, and memorable videos. This is why it is important for every computer owner to have a way to save all of our files somewhere that cannot be corrupted should something happen to our machine. MegaBackup promises to do this for us. It is a program that allows users to make copies of their files in the cloud. That’s good, right?
For the most part, yes. The problem with MegaBackup us that it utilizes an annoying scare tactic that “forces” computer owners to purchase its licensed version. It sends a barrage of ads, box messages, and banners warning the user that thousands of his or her files are at risk of being corrupted. If you have the money and do not want to get annoyed by these ads, all you need to do is pay for the license. The nagging ends. Plus, you get to create backups for your important files. However, if you want to stick to the free version of MegaBackup, you need to be prepared for a host of inconveniences.
Whenever you go online, you are bombarded by price comparison charts, special offers, online coupons, and banners for MegaBackup. This pop-up every time to go to another page. Not only is closing all those unwanted windows annoying, but it can also interfere with whatever you are doing on your computer. It can also redirect your browser to rogue websites. That is why people opt to uninstall the program instead. While it may seem straightforward, the process of removing all traces of the MegaBackup from your system is not as easy as clicking “Uninstall”.
Steps in manually removing MegaBackup from the Mac OS
It is important that you follow the steps below in the order that it is presented. This is to make sure that you completely scrub all of the effects of the MegaBackup program from your computer.
- Click on the Go button. Go to the Utilities folder of your computer. Open it.
- Find the icon for the Activity Monitor. It looks like a patient monitor. Double-click on this icon.
- When this launch, you will see a list of Process Names. Find the entry for MegaBackupAgent. Select this entry. Click on the Quit Process option.
- A dialog box will pop up. This will ask you if you are sure that you want to quit the executable for MegaBackup. Choose the Force Quit option.
- Go back and click the button for Go one more time. Look for the Applications option. Open it.
- On the interface, look for the entry for MegaBackup.app. Right-click on this entry and select the Move to Trash option.
- If your system is password protected, you would have to enter your password at this point.
- Go to your computer’s Apple Menu. Select the option for System Preferences. Go to accounts then click on the button marked Login Items. Your operating system will show you a list of items that launch itself whenever the box is started up. Look for MegaBackup. Select this and click on the button marked “-“.
Now that you have removed the MegaBackup from your system, the next part of your clean-up process is to fix any browser issues that have been caused by this program.
Reset all of the Web Browsers that MegaBackup corrupted
To prevent any visits to any rogue websites, it is a must that you reset all the settings of your various web browsers. This should restore all of the settings to their default values and completely erase all of the changes caused by installing MegaBackup and its affiliated adware. Here are the steps:
- To Reset the settings for Safari, you will need to launch the browser. Go to the Safari Menu and find Preferences from the drop-down list. The screen for Preferences should open. Go to the Privacy tab. This should be found at the top of the window. Look for the Remove all Website Data option and click on it.
There should be a confirmation dialog displayed after you click. This will also briefly explain what resetting will do. It will let you know that you will be logged out from some of the services. Plus, you will experience some changes in website behavior once the procedure is done. If you have all of your log-in issues settled, click on the button marked Remove Now. You can also clear data that are generated by specific websites only. To do so, select the Details option and click on that button. You will find this under the Privacy Section of the Safari Preferences. What this will do is generate a list of the websites that may have stored sensitive data (cookies, cache). Choose the ones that could cause trouble and select Remove/ Remove All. You will find the buttons at the bottom. When you are finished, click on Done to exit.
- To reset the settings of your Google Chrome, you need to click on the menu icon for Customize and Control Google Chrome. Go to the Options to see a new window. Here, look for Under the Hood. This tab will enable you to revert to your default setting. Look for the button marked Reset to defaults. This should deal with any links to rogue sites.
- To reset your Mozilla Firefox, you need to open the Troubleshooting Information from the Help menu. From the options, look for the Reset Firefox button.
Use a Tool to uninstall MegaBackup from the Mac OS
If you are not comfortable changing the settings on your computer and fixing the problems that the MegaBackup brought, you can always download a tool that can help you deal with it. Consider using the MacBooster. This is an application that not only provides security features, it also optimizes your Mac. Follow these simple steps.
- Download the MacBooster application. Install this once it has been downloaded.
- Launch the app and do a complete scan of your machine. You can do this by simply clicking on the Scan button.
- After checking if there are other threats installed on your computer, go to the Uninstaller option. On the Applications list, look for and select the MegaBackup icon. The MacBooster will hunt down all the components of the selected app from your computer when you choose the Uninstall option. The button is found on the bottom part of the interface.
You might still need to check on the settings of your browser just to check if they are still programmed to go to any rogue links.
Why Is It Advisable to Use an Automatic Uninstall App?
Some people have tried manually uninstalling the MegaBackup app and discovered that it is back on their computers after booting their machine back up. This is because the app can reinstall itself without the permission of the computer user.
By using an uninstall tool, you are ensured that the core files of the MegaBackup app are removed. This will prevent the app from reinstalling itself again. As mentioned, you can use the MacBooster for this. You can also opt for other malware detection tools of your choice.
While having a system to back up all of the pertinent files on your device is necessary, it is not something that you should be bullied into purchasing. This is one of MegaBackup’s shortcomings. It uses scare tactics and other underhanded ways to “convince” computer owners to purchase a licensed version of it.
Uninstalling it is a good and easy way to keep your peace of mind. If you follow the steps on this guide, you can be sure to remove all traces of this malicious software from your Mac OS.