Thanks to the new Continuity feature introduced in OS X 10.10 Mavericks, it is possible to receive and respond to SMS text messages right from the Messages app on your mac. This makes messaging quicker and easier as you can reply from the device that is closest to you. Take advantage of the full size mac keyboard for quickly writing longer texts.
You will need to have at least iOS 8 or newer on your iPhone/iPad and OS X 10.10 (Mavericks) on your mac.
- Make sure you are signed into the same iMessage account on your iPhone and in the Messages app on the mac.
- On the Mac open the Messages app and open Preferences from the menu bar to check your account.
- On the iPhone open your Settings and navigate to Messages > Send & Receive, and make sure both your phone number and email address are checked off under “YOU CAN BE REACHED BY IMESSAGE AT”.
- On the iPhone go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > Text Message Forwarding and select your mac or other device you want to receive SMS on.
- Now look back at the Messages app on your mac. You will see a prompt with a security verification code. Enter this code into the iPhone to authorize forwarding to the mac.
- After successfully entering the verification code you are ready to send and receive SMS on your mac.