Learn how Trovi.com works, what it is, its effect on machines, and the best way to effectively get rid of it from the device’s system.
Mac PCs are now slowly becoming vulnerable against malicious software. Still, even though Mac OS is not as strongly immune as it was before, it is still not as easily infected by viruses like its counterpart, Windows. However, Mac devices are now targeted by risky programs like adware which has the capability of penetrating the system. One of those programs is the Trovi.com Redirect Virus.
In 2014, this unwanted executable code has been circulated to infiltrate highjacked web browsers like Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and Google Chrome. It has been detected as an advertising-supported software that causes a very disturbing browsing activity. Trovi is categorized as a “browser hijacker’ because it latches on the browser as an add-on without the user noticing it.
It is designed to aggressively advertise unwanted products and services to unknowing victims which it often claims as a security tool that works against annoying redirects. Until now, there are still Mac users who fall to its trap because it hasn’t been blacklisted or filtered yet. It is often acquired by the browser through downloading free software. It is offered by “bundling,” a software sales technique which goal is to deceive users.
If Conduit Search has been found on the device, then most likely, Trovi virus also exists. Conduit created the Trovi virus as part of its bundle” It is a freeware that doesn’t declare that there is a pack that comes with it once a part of it has been downloaded.
The system is usually infected when a hijacked webpage starts installing a single tool and the user unfortunately disregards the user agreement or terms of service. Conduit Ltd has many platforms that can cause even more severe errors when installed which is why dealing with the viruses revolving around those products should be carefully performed.
How the Trovi Virus Works
When the user starts using browsers on Mac such as Safari, Firefox, and Chrome, it will automatically direct the user to the webpage “www.trovigo.com” or “www.trovi.com” and not to the default website as the user added on the browser’s settings. Getting redirected to the webpage poses no real threats, but the ads found on the website are dangerous. The creators of Trovi still makes money even when the user doesn’t click on the links or banners.
Trovi Search becomes the default homepage of the infected browser and search engine while showing clickable ads and paid links. Though, because it’s not a real search engine, it uses Bing to do the search. In some cases, users were the ones who knowingly installs the Trovi Search extension to their browsers. Still, in most cases it is the potentially unwanted programs that use stealthy tactics to hijack into the browser.
However, even though Trovi isn’t that dangerous, its potential partner may be highly dangerous. It can launch another code that can track cookies and browsing history and steal the user’s private data including email address and other login information. This collected information are then sold to third-parties which are involved in creating spams and phishing. In worse case scenarios, while the virus remains in the system and the user keeps on using the machine, the possibility of identity theft also increases. It also eventually makes openings for other viruses in its package to hack into the system.
Although the most visible effect of the Trovi virus can only be seen through web browsers, because it is a part of a package, the other parts of its bundle becomes more contagious and starts spreading its virus throughout the Mac operating system. It starts compromising the system in multiple levels until it becomes very persistent and difficult to scrub from the system. Effectively clearing the system from all of the threats requires numerous and meticulous steps that should be followed properly. Some of the steps required include eliminating the main malicious software and resetting the browsers.
Manually Remove Trovi Virus on Mac
Make sure that all of the steps below are followed to effectively remove the malware from the Mac OS.
- On the Apple Finder dock, click “Go” then choose “Utilities.”
- Find and open “Activity Monitor” by double-clicking on its logo on the Utilities folder window.
- Look for the entry “Trovi” and click on it then select “Quit Process.”
- A popup dialog will appear which will ask if you want to quit on troubleshooting. Choose “Force Quit.”
- Go back to the Apple Finder dock, click on “Go,” then open “Applications.”
- On the window, look for “Trovi” then move it to trash by right-clicking on its icon.
- Enter the password if needed to authorize the change.
- Again, go back to the Apple Menu and choose “System Preferences.”
- Click on “Accounts” then “Login Items.”
- Once the system displays a list of startup apps, look for “Trovi.”
- Click “-“ beside it.
The easiest way to restore the browsers’ settings to default is by resetting them. Here are the steps on how to reset Safari, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. Follow the steps in order.
Safari on Mac
- Open Safari then click on “Safari” menu.
- Choose “Preferences.”
- On the “Preferences” window, click on “Privacy.”
- Below the options for “Cookies and website data”, you can find the “Remove All Website Data” button. Click it.
- A dialog box will appear confirming the action that gives details of the effects of resetting the browser. One of the consequences is that accounts may be logged out from services and other chosen settings will change. If its fine, then choose “Remove Now.”
- However, if the user wants to delete only selected data, then under “Privacy,” click on “Details” instead. It will show a list of websites that may contain some private data which includes cookies and cache. Choose all that should be removed.
- Click on “Done” once finished.
Google Chrome on Mac
- Launch Chrome then click on” Customize and control Google Chrome,” the three horizontal bars found beside the search box.
- Click on “Settings.”
- Click “Advanced” on the Settings window.
- Click on “Reset settings” found below “Restore settings to their original defaults.”
- Once a confirmation popup appears, click on “Reset settings” to complete the action.
- To check if the problem recurs, open the browser again to see if the adware problem still exists.
Mozilla Firefox on Mac
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Choose “Help” then click on “Troubleshooting Information.”
- Click on “Reset Firefox” found on the small gray box found on the new page that opened.
Use the Freshmac Application to Automatically Remove Trovi Redirect Virus
Using Freshmac is the best solution in combatting Trovi and other malicious software on Mac. It blocks the damage of the virus through its specifically designed system program. It comes along the essential modules to optimize Mac OS and gives the crucial security tools.
Freshmac removes unnecessary applications and recurring malicious software with just a click. It removes cookies to protect the user’s privacy, clears disk storage, and handles apps launched on startup to reduce boot time. It even has 24/7 technical support.
Ease the trouble of going through manually troubleshooting the persistent problem arising from an adware or malware like the Trovi Redirect virus every time the browser accidentally gets infected by it. Get Freshmac as a constant partner in resolving this issue and more.
Here are the steps on how to use the Freshmac tool to automatically remove the Trovi Virus on the infected Mac.
- Get the installer by downloading it on the device. Launch the installer by double-clicking on the file “Freshmac.pkg” then choose the file destination and continue.
- Enter the user password to authorize the installation of the app then click on “Install Software” to continue the setup.
- Freshmac will start an automatic scan once the installation has finished.
- The program will scan the cache first then the logs. It will also scan for unused languages before it starts scanning the trash. Once it’s done, it will look for privacy issues on the Mac.
- After the scan, Freshmac will show they system’s current security status and the amount of issues it found on the areas it scanned. Clear the junk files and manage the privacy issues by clicking on “Fix Safely.”
- Click the “Uninstaller” tab on the left side panel on the Freshmac interface to check if the Trovi virus has been completely resolved.
- Look for a suspicious looking entry and click on it then select “Fix Safely” to uninstall the application.
- Select “Temp” and “Startup Apps” from the panel on the left side of the Freshmac window to clear all persistent and malicious entries. The Trovi Redirect Virus problem should be eliminated completely.
Exterminating the Trovi Redirect Virus on a Mac can be very painstaking. The user has to follow several steps in troubleshooting while making sure that the order has been done accordingly. Missing a step can lead to having a remnant of the virus which has the potential to spread again, or worse, collect data from the active machine.
Due to the evolving cybercrime scene nowadays, it is so much better to fully secure even a Mac device. Installing an authentic and highly reliable anti-malware and adware security program is now of utmost importance. Also, it is best to choose an application that has a complete set of the essential modules and has a round the clock tech support.